General Manager - Hotel in Zambia
Below are all the details for the selected job.
Jobs Africa Group Full-Time
- $2000 - $3000 depending on experience
A hotel group in Lusaka, Zambia is looking for a new General Manager to run the day-to-day management of a hotel and its staff. The ideal candidate will be someone who pays attention to the details, sets the example for staff to deliver a standard of service, and meets guest’s needs and expectations with a key aim of customers.
- Experienced hotelier with at least 5 years’ experience in Managerial position in a 4-star hotel
- Requires a degree in Hotel Management or similar
- Must currently reside in South Africa
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Be readily available/approachable for all guests
- Ensure that departments achieve or exceed guest’s expectations.
- Take proactive approaches when dealing with guest concerns.
- Extend professionalism and courtesy to guests at all times.
- Ensure delivery of excellent customer service at all times, ensuring guests’ comfort and safety;
- Ensure customer complaints and comments are handled and resolved timely and professionally;
- Be responsible for evacuation in case of emergency, acting as first point of contact for the team, guests and the emergency services;
- Unit Networks:
- Recognize good team performance on a continuous basis through reward and recognition programme.
- Assist team leaders in meeting and exceeding company’s goal.
- Perform periodic staff appraisals by liaising with the Office of the Human Resources to ensure availability of productive and motivated staff;
- Ensure all important meetings are held regularly in line with annual time management;
- Conduct monthly reward and recognition meeting celebrating goal and associate achievements.
- Promote empowerment by recognizing team members that make decision.
- Develop cross-training program as applicable.
- Assist subordinate to understand the Group Goal and make new plan to expand the company.
- Call meeting on monthly basis for review.
- Complete skill matrix for subordinates to encourage for team leadership learning.
- Conduct one-on-ones meetings with HR.
- Provide relevant service training on quarterly basis to enhance the standards of the hotel.
- Ensure orientation take place from Human Resources Department for all the employees on timely basis.
- Achieve budgeted revenue and profit goals, balancing cost with guest satisfactions.
- Comply with all corporate accounting procedures.
- Maximize revenue through the Yield Management and inventory control systems.
- Develop annual budget and capital expenditure plans from each department.
- Aggressively minimize accident, workmen’s compensation, and unemployment claims and resulting costs.
- Utilize budgets to teach assistants and supervisors to understand financial objectives. Balancing costs with associates/guests satisfaction.
- Develop and communicate selling strategies, utilizing inventory control, reports and other forecasting tools from PMS.
- Review these weekly with Sales & Marketing.
- Be accountable for all relevant product delivery and stock management (mainly food staff, laundry, cleaning materials and bedroom supplies ) including setting stock levels, checking, counting, storage, reconciliation and loos investigation;
Sales & Marketing:
- Implement and encourage hotel participation in corporate national sales and marketing programs.
- Ensure effective promotion and business marketing in liaison with the Marketing Manager;
- Communicate competitive market conditions to team supervisors and Marketing Manager.
- Review the inventory controls for room night and business distributions.
- Continually solicit new business for the hotel.
- Monitor group block and direct bill processes.
- Networking during breakfast and social hours to assist sales in uncovering new business leads.
- Ensure that all Guest Care associates understand hotel selling strategies.
- Stay current on local market conditions.
- Assist the hotel sales team with preparing the annual revenue budget and annual marketing plan.
- Maintain rapport with competitor hotel, lead sources, clients, and local community.
- Manager sales departments to perform correctly.
- Review period end reports which are obtained from Sales & Marketing Manager.
- Perform hands-on duties as needed to deliver guest services.
- Resides as General Manager over multi units, as well as General Manager full responsibilities for one property.
- Provide a safe working environment in compliance with all the staff.
- Responsible for accident prevention programs.
- Audit to ensure guest rooms, public spaces, grounds, work and kitchen areas meet sanitation and cleanliness standards.
- Coordinate preventive maintenance and general clean program so that guest satisfaction goals are attained.
- Analyze and implement actions using the Systems for Management indicators on a daily/weekly basis.
- Attend all regional training seminars as outlined in key success factors.
- Coordinate suite care programs. Identifying trends and making recommendations for improvements.
- Audit a minimum of 15 rooms on weekly basis and guide House Keeping Manager to resolve the concerns.
- Ensure cross training for all associates if required
- Ensure property hiring practices comply and make requirements via Human Resources Department
- Interview and select potential new hires utilizing Human Resources Department;
- Promote both Guarantee of fair treatment and open door policies;
- Complete all daily administration tasks as required and ensure availability of reports/statistics for business analysis and decision making;
- Use constructive coaching and counselling when addressing associates concerns.
- Maintain current licenses and permits as prescribed by local, state and federal agencies.
- Have working knowledge of all corporate brands manuals.
- Scheduling of management team includes coverage of weekend and evening hours.
- Pursue additional personal development.
- With input from the team supervisors, conduct reviews in a timely fashion.
- Help to develop and manage skill/talent by acting as mentor;
- Ensure employees understand policies, like pay procedure, bonus plans and benefits.
- Between $2, 000 to $3, 000, depending on experience
- This is for a 2-year contract
- Company car, medical cover, will be provided
- Food and beverages while on duty as per company policy, phone airtime and fuel allowance as per company policy.
- At hiring and once a year vacation, the company will provide one (1) return Air ticket from one destination in the country of origin to Zambia.
- VISA and Work permit costs will be taken care of by the company.
If you are interested, please send your CV and a recent photograph.